On the third day of protests over the shooting of Jacob Blake Jr., police fired tear gas from behind an eight-foot fence at hundreds of protesters shooting fireworks and flinging rocks.

I feel very confident well have him in a very short time, Beth said.
Shots were fired around 11:45 p.m., police said. After the first shots, a young White man carrying a rifle began running north on Sheridan Road, away from a crowd of protesters. Video shows the armed man fall to the ground, and then fire multiple rounds into the crowd. Two more people fell to the ground, one shot in the arm and the other in the chest, the Journal Sentinel reported. Another graphic video shows a man with blood running down the back of his neck and bystanders shouting that hed been shot in the head.
Carol Badoni from Burlington, Wis., started CPR on one wounded man. His girlfriend said his name is Ben.
He definitely was not breathing, said Badoni, 50. His eyes were rolled back in his head. There was no pulse.”
Badoni added, I never run toward trouble but its worth getting shot for somebody else.”
Police soon took Ben to a nearby hospital. Kenosha police have not yet identified any of the shooting victims.
Beth told the Times that investigators are looking into the armed men in front of the gas station, who were recorded before the shooting arguing with protesters. One of the men told The Washington Post that he was there to stop people from breaking into local businesses, noting that hed seen rumors online about pipe bombs being used.
If the cops arent going to stop them from throwing pipe bombs on innocent civilians, somebody has to, said an armed man in a red checkered shirt, who declined to give his name. (Theres no indication any pipe bombs were involved in Tuesdays unrest.)
Kenosha has been beset by violence, looting and fires since Sunday, when Blake, a 29-year-old Black man, was shot several times in the back by Kenosha police as he stepped into a car with his children inside. Earlier on Tuesday, Blakes family said he is paralyzed and still in critical condition, while his mother pleaded for peaceful protests. But the family also chastised police, saying they systematically brutalize Black people.
They shot my son seven times, said Jacob Blake Sr., his father. Seven times. Like he didnt matter. But my son matters. Hes a human being, and he matters.
My son matters: Jacob Blakes family calls for officers arrest, peaceful protest
From the start of Tuesdays protests, armed civilians were evident in the crowd, bearing handguns, AR-15-style rifles, knives and military flak jackets. Some, like Dennis, 22, from Racine, Wis., said he showed up with his pistol to protect himself and other protesters.
Nothing is going to change, he said, hanging back from the crowd. This is all for nothing.
Another man, brandishing a handgun, showed up after a call on Facebook to protect the city.
Aint nothing being done. Were the only ones, said Joe, 29, a U.S. Marine veteran who asked not to give his last name. This is nonsense, he said, scanning the crowd, adding that others like him were around Kenosha tonight. Three thousand of us are armed and ready, he said.
After multiple buildings burned and stores were looted on Monday, police on Tuesday night made it harder for people to enter Kenosha. Seven consecutive exit ramps were closed on Interstate 94, and the citys sprawling outlet mall was boarded up.
In downtown Kenosha, however, the only law enforcement presence was once again around the Kenosha County Courthouse, where an 8-foot-high fence was erected around the building. About 1,000 protesters gathered outside the barrier, and besides occasional chanting, the scene was quiet at first.
A lot of fear in the air because of the threats to protesters, said Nathan, 28, a Kenosha resident who did not want to give his last name.
Its hard to see now, but it will be a positive thing, he said of the protests. Itll bring Kenosha back together. Kenosha has always been a resilient place. Itll continue to happen.
After some protesters began vigorously shaking the fence and setting off fireworks aimed at officers on the other side, Kenosha County police officers atop the courthouse shot tear gas pellets and rubber bullets into the crowd. Around 9:20 p.m., a military vehicle entered the park, dispersing more tear gas. Protesters shot fireworks, both on the ground and into the courthouse steps.
By 10 p.m., after pushing protesters away from the fence, about 70 police officers in riot gear formed a line across the park outside the courthouse as clouds of tear gas continued toward the crowd.
Police pushed protesters to Sheridan Road after 11 p.m., where law enforcement in armored trucks blocked the street. Nearby, the confrontation brewed with armed men at the gas station. Within an hour, the street exploded into chaos and bloodshed as the gunshots rang out.
Beth, the sheriff, told the Journal Sentinel that armed militia members have been on the streets in recent nights, calling them a vigilante group.
After the shooting, he told the Times that the bloodshed validated his concerns about armed civilians.
Ive had people saying, Why dont you deputize citizens? he said. This is why you dont deputize citizens with guns to protect Kenosha.