27/11/2022

Police divers search for a man after his car was washed off a causeway in Sydney’s north, while dozens of schools are closed and people are urged to work from home after three days of torrential rain.

Updated
February 10, 2020 09:03:09
Police divers are searching for a driver missing in Sydney’s floods after his car was washed off a causeway at Galston Gorge, in the city’s north.

  • The SES has conducted 156 flood rescues since yesterday morning
  • An evacuation order is in place for suburbs along the Georges River
  • There are delays and cancellations across Sydney’s public transport network

The State Emergency Service (SES) said 200 people had been rescued so far, after driving into floodwaters after three days of torrential rain.
Its also urged people in Sydney to stay home from work today, while dozens of schools are closed and flood evacuation orders are in place around NSW.
“Everywhere has been hit, it’s hard to pinpoint where it’s worst,” Matt Kirby from the SES said.
The SES has issued eight evacuation orders across the state.
Last night those around Narrabeen Lagoon in northern Sydney fled for higher ground as their waterfront properties came under threat.
Further west, people in Moorebank, Chipping Norton and Milperra also evacuated as the Georges River swelled to unprecedented levels.
The Hawkesbury-Nepean River has also peaked, closing several bridges, and evacuation orders are in place for surrounding areas.
As the system moves to the South Coast, people in Lake Conjola where the bushfire clean-up continues have been warned flooding is likely.
Mr Kirby said working from home was strongly advised today as many more calls for assistance were anticipated this morning.
A total of 54 schools have also been closed in areas including Narrabeen, Picton, Gosford, Wyong, Penrith and Paramatta.
“We are trying to ask people to reconsider their travel, a number of roads are closed,” Mr Kirby said.
“And we are still seeing people driving into floodwater.”
NSW Emergency Services Minister David Elliott said it was disappointing motorists were not heeding warnings after he called out “boofhead behaviour” yesterday.
“We have 400 SES volunteers trying to complete the backlog this morning and unfortunately this has included 150 flood rescues,” he said.
“The message to the motorists of Sydney and indeed the wider metropolitan area is if you can avoid being on the roads do so.”
There is chaos across the Sydney train network due to the extreme weather, with mass cancellations and platform overcrowding.
The T1 North Shore line down from Gordon to North Sydney due to a landslide at Artarmon.
T7 Olympic Park, South Coast, Central Coast and Newcastle, Blue Mountains and Southern Highlands lines all partially disrupted.
The Manly and Parramatta ferries are also cancelled. Replacement buses have been organised.
The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) says the trough is moving away from Sydney and heavy rain and flash flooding are expected on the South Coast before the system weakens this afternoon.
The dry and burnt out areas in the south are “particularly vulnerable”, the BOM said.
Topics:weather,
emergency-planning,
emergency-incidents,
disasters-and-accidents,
floods,
electricity-energy-and-utilities,
police,
sydney-2000,
nsw,
wollongong-2500,
narrabeen-2101,
picton-2571,
milperra-2214,
bankstown-2200
First posted
February 10, 2020 06:41:50
More
stories from New South Wales