February 08, 2020 10:14:17
The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) has issued a severe weather warning for much of the east coast, with the potential for “life-threatening” flash flooding tonight in areas from Coffs Harbour to Ulladulla.
- The weekend could see top falls of 200mm along the coast as a trough deepens on Saturday
- Flood risk-prone areas include Penrith, Colo River and parts of the South Coast
- Conditions are set to ease on Monday with lighter showers forecast next week
“Torrential” rain is forecast for the NSW Mid North Coast, Hunter, Sydney, Illawarra and Blue Mountains, while damaging wind gusts in excess of 90 kilometres an hour are possible between Nowra and Forster later today.
The possibility of thunderstorms could bring as much as 150 millimetres of rain on Saturday and up to 200mm on Sunday.
The State Emergency Service is bracing for another round of heavy rain along the state’s east coast, after receiving 16 hundred calls for help so far.
The BOM also issued a flood watch for Saturday with major flooding possible in the Hawkesbury Nepean catchment and parts of the South Coast.
It said the trough which was bringing rain to the Mid North Coast was expected to deepen and shift south towards the Hunter, Sydney and Illawarra coasts on Saturday.
The flood risks in Greater Sydney are predicted to be Penrith, in Sydney’s west, Colo River north-west and Parramatta River.
Conditions are expected to easy Monday with lighter showers and storms featuring for much of the week ahead.
Yesterday the heaviest falls were on the Central Coast, which recorded 200 millimetres in the 24 hours to 9 o’clock this morning.
Sydney received 40-80 millimetres on average, with some suburbs receiving more than 100mm.
Some outdoor events were cancelled due to extreme weather conditions, including Saturday’s Inner West Summer Fest at Enmore Park.
Heavy rain and severe flooding also forced the cancellation of the Red Hot Summer Tour shows which were meant to take place on Saturday and Sunday on Cockatoo Island.
In a Facebook post on Friday organisers said 115mm of rain had fallen on the site which was already under water, with even heavier falls expected over the weekend.
“The site has been deemed unsafe and we are unable to complete the build despite every attempt of our crews working around the clock to do so,” organisers said.
“We are as devastated as you all are.”
The State Emergency Services (SES) is asking people in affected areas to be vigilant and monitor for flash flooding.
“People should leave low lying areas before flash flooding begins is the best action you can take,” said SES spokesperson Ilana Pender-Rose.
“If you’re trapped by rising flood water you can seek refuge in the highest part of a sturdy building.”
People are being urged not to walk, ride or drive through rising floodwaters.
Parents should also keep their children away from creeks, drains, gutters and streams.
“Not only is it incredibly dangerous but it can also contain debris and sewage,” Ms Pender-Rose said.
“Just 10 centimetres of water can float a small car.”
The SES has received 1,470 requests across the state since midnight on Wednesday and carried out seven flood rescues.
stories from New South Wales